According to the CDC, there are an estimated 6 million to 12 million infestations occur each year in the United States among children 3 to 11 years of age. You can imagine that there are many ways to get rid of head lice. We will cover some of them here on this page. It is important to know that when one person in the household has a confirmed case of head lice, that everyone that live in the same household be check for lice infestation. If this is not done, then they will risk getting re-infested. At Jamie's Lice Angels, we have found the most effective way to get rid of lice and have created a service to our community.
- Our Method - We have found that removing all live lice and the eggs from the infested person are the most effective way to get rid of lice. Removing the eggs from the hair shaft is one of the hardest parts of performing lice treatments. We use a non-toxic enzyme that loosens the glue that holds the eggs to the hair shaft. Then we can easily comb all the eggs and lice out of the hair. The most important reasons to use our method is because the person being treated is not being exposed to insecticides. insecticides are used in other treatments for head lice.
- Over-the-counter or prescription medication - There are several medications for treating head lice. These medications use insecticides intended to kill live lice. Some will kill just the bugs and some kill the bugs and eggs. Depending on what medication is used will determine how to use it. If the medication used kills the bugs and eggs, then it is only recommended to retreat if live bugs are found days later. Medication that will only kill live bugs requires the continued use of the medication until no live bugs are found. We do not recommend these methods. While it is found that the use of these insecticides is safe when used as directed, people are known to abuse the medication. Always follow the instructions on the product box. We find that people will use more than is directed. People will use several different medications at the same time. This will not help and can be dangerous if overused. Do not treat a person with the medication more than 2 times. If the medication is not working then it is likely that the bugs have built up a resistance to the medication. These bugs are known as super lice.
- Home Remedies - There are many way people claim to get rid of head lice. We do not have any evidence that these methods work.
- Mayonnaise to treat lice - Some sites claim that you can kill lice with Mayonnaise by rubbing on the head and sleeping with a shower cap on the head. The intent is to kill the bugs by cutting off the air supply. The problem is that lice can hold their breath for a long time. This is not safe! The shower cap can slide over the person's face and suffocate them in their sleep. Please do not do this. Even if someone wanted to sit with mayonnaise on his or her head, and it did kill the bugs, the eggs still need to be removed. How long would you want to leave Mayonnaise on your head? Mayonnaise goes bad if left out for an extended period of time.
- Garlic, Oils, Salt, Petroleum Jelly - All of these methods require some sort of concoctions that you have to mix up and repeat for several days.